Thursday, April 15, 2010

Meanwhile, back on the Northside...



The Beer:
Ninkasi Believer Double Red in a pint glass.

The Perfect Pairing:
Bardenay's Mediterranean Albacore Tuna sandwich with nine friends and coworkers. In which 60% of our workplace hop-skipped two blocks over to a local restaurant/distillery, ate too much, and divided a check eight ways. (I also enjoyed a side of apricot walnut cous cous).

The Experience:
I would say "meh" but the tuna sandwich was fantastic, particularly the bread and tapenade. (And the half-sandwich I ate for leftovers the next day = nom nom). As for the beer, it's never a good sign when you've made it through 2/3's of the meal and you still have 2/3's of a pint left. In other words, the beer felt like an afterthought. For a red ale, there were too many nut, raisin, and overly malty tones.

The Taste:
A particularly bitter India Pale Ale and little grape cough syrup.

(and the meal)

2 comments:

  1. that's funny, I have never really liked there beers much for some reason. I always think it looks great, like the bottle is simple like a good beer should be and then when i open it up. a big meh. Oh well trying new beers is always fun. by the way i have to take back my my earlier statements to you on the Deschutes summer ale. it's not bad and i kind of like the balance. I think it tasted weird the first time because i had just had a fruity beer from the raccoon lodge. It's worth the try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bro. I'll have to give that one a go.

    ReplyDelete